How to make your payment
How to pay for your India Trip?
Vacation India accepts Wire Transfer, Credit Card and Paypal payments! A deposit which is equal to 20% of the total tour cost is required at the time of booking with Vacation India. 50% is required 30 days before departure for your India tour. Should the tour booked within 30 days before departure for your India tour, 70% payment is required. The balance of 30% can be paid in cash or through credit card on your arrival in India!
Credit Card (Master or Visa)
By choosing this way, the client can pay us through our secured online payment gateway. The online payment gateway has been provided to us by our bank IDBI Limited. The online payment gateway provided by our bank for your online financial transaction is fully secured with 128-bit encryption facility. Your sensitive financial information is not stored on our server and it is free from any human intervention. The gateway server is assigned a server ID and authenticated by Verified By Visa(VBV)/ MasterCard® SecureCode™(MSC), that gives you an additional layer of online payment or online shopping security. Only you and your financial institution know what your code is — merchants aren’t able to see it. Please note that a handling fee is charged by banks for every transaction. Hence, besides the invoiced price, an extra 2% will be charged as the handling fee for credit card payment.
Click here to make online payment to us
Important Notes for those who select to pay us with your Credit Card
- Don’t send us your credit card details! We never ask our clients for their credit card details as the transaction takes place between the client and online payment gateway of the bank
- For credit card payment: Our company name appearing on your statement will be: Classic Holidays India
- When you pay us through your credit card, the amount gets credited in our Bank account on the very next working day. We send you confirmation as soon as we receive the amount!
- According to the rules of the Indian Government, we are not allowed to charge in foreign currencies. So the payments on our side is charged in INR based on the current exchange rates in India. Your card issuing bank will charge you in local currency and VacationIndia.com have no control on the exchange rate employed by your card company. As a result, there might be a subtle difference between the final amount charged from your credit card and the amount identified on the Invoice of your India Trip
By choosing this way, the client should make a copy of the bank transaction receipt after transfer and fax it to us at +91 (80) (66885427) or email us its scan copy at firstname.lastname@example.org. Once we have received the fax or scan copy, we will proceed to secure the booking. The bank information and the corresponding account are listed as follow:
Our Bank Information for Wire transfer/Bank Transfer
Beneficiary: Classic Holidays India Pvt. Ltd.
Beneficiary Address: B-130, First Floor, Parsvnath Panchvati, Taj Nagari Phase 2, Fatehebad Road, Opposite Hotel Double Tree by Hilton, Agra 282001, Uttra Pradesh, India
Bank Name: IDBI (Industrial Development Bank of India Limited)
Branch: Taj Ganj, Agra
Bank Address: Plot No. 30/80-B , Upper Ground Floor, Fatehabad Road, Agra 282001, India
Beneficiary Account No.: 3031-0200-000-0514
SWIFT CODE: IBKLINBB010
Branch IFSC Code: IBKL0000303
Post Code: 282001
*In case of Wire Transfer, it may take up to 7 days for your payment to reach our account
We accept Paypal for payment, the safe and convenient payment method that millions of online buyers and sellers prefer for online business. If you choose Paypal, you are required to pay an extra 3.5 % of the total amount as the handling fee. Our Paypal account is: email@example.com We will email you and confirm your booking after we receive the confirmation from our Paypal account.
*Please make sure your Paypal account has been officially verified by Paypal.
Is Tour Price Subject to Change?
Before you confirm your booking, we reserve the right to change prices quoted on our website for any reason at any time. Once your booking has been confirmed, we don’t change the price unless and until there is significant changes in fuel surcharges and currency fluctuation or any fees chargeable for the services included in the cost of your vacation. Should it be necessary to impose any surcharges, we will notify you of the relevant adjustments by issuing a new invoice!